How many times have you heard someone say “actions speak louder than words”? I’m sure we’ve all heard this so many times that we’ve rolled our eyes or sucked our teeth when we heard it. As annoying as this phrase may be, learning to align our words with our actions is a huge part of becoming our best selves and ultimately who God wants us to be.
There’s a huge difference in saying something and actually DOING something. If I say something, and don’t keep my word, I’ve taught someone not to trust me, and I’ve failed at being a woman of my word. That’s not who I want to be, it’s not who God has called me to be, and that is certainly not what I would want to bring into other relationships (friendships, relationships, marriage, parenting).
In John 3:18, it says “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.” When I read this scripture, it sticks out to me that love is an action word, and with it comes commitment and responsibility. If we love someone, we are responsible to show them not just with words, but with actions, and we are to do it truthfully. This also in some instances means sacrificing some of our own desires, some of our pride, being mindful of how our choices impact others, and doing what we should for those that we love. Loving through actions isn’t always comfortable, but being obedient to God’s Word always ensures that we will be rewarded.
Showing love through actions doesn’t have to be complicated. There are so many things going on in our lives and in the world, that a simple gesture to show love goes a long way. God gives us beautiful opportunities to show love through acts of kindness, serving others unselfishly, and kind words.
I’ll end this with a few things I’ve learned about loving through my actions and not just my words.
1. It’s your duty to be self accountable that your heart and actions are pure.
2. Sometimes your love won’t be received well by everyone, appreciated, or reciprocated. It’s okay, what is important is that you honored GOD.
3. Only sow what you wish to reap. If you want love, give it. If you want support, give support. If you want understanding, be understanding. See how that works?
4. Don’t be afraid to show love through your actions. See the first three points.
5. Actions will always have a greater impact than words in any aspect of your life, no matter the situation.
I am committed to showing my love through actions, purely, willingly, and unselfishly to others, consistently, as God has commanded.